And A Little Child Shall Lead Them
 

 

Page 4

The Accident 
 


 
Annie continued, "One day about a year ago, it was a Sunday morning and Doll had been out all night with two older boys.  They were coming home about the time the church bus was coming around the mountain road.  The boy that was driving was still drunk and swerving that old car around every turn in the road.

Harvey was making his rounds, he had a whole new bunch of kids now that he drove to church and as he always had with us, he was singing with them and having such a good time.  The bus was on the way to pick me up and I wondered why it was late.  I thought, well, I probably just won't be going this time but I was worried, I thought maybe Harvey was sick, he was getting up in age by then but it was his lifetime commitment to see that every child around could go to church if they would or if they could be talked into it.

Remember all the times we tried to get Mr. Brown to let Doll go with us?  She had such a love for Jesus instilled in her, by you Callie.  I remember how you taught her all the little songs and how she would pray with you and ask Jesus to get her daddy to let her go to church on the church bus.  I was a little jealous of your relationship with her at the time but as we got older I understood that if it wasn't for you, she'd of had no one to care for her and take time to pray with her.  We are so blessed to have such a God fearing mom and dad but you know they sent us to church on that old bus too instead of taking us.

Mom always prayed a lot and listened to preaching on the old radio but she said even God rested on Sunday and with a house full of kids, once we were gone to church she could take a little rest.  It's been a long time now since she's stayed home on Sundays. We go to church as a family now and I love it!  But getting back to Doll.  She never had that, she never had a chance.

Harvey and the kids were singing, The devil is a sly old fox, if I could catch him I'd put him in a box. I'd lock that box and throw away the key, for all the tricks he's played on me.  About that time, the old devil played the biggest trick of all, he was in those boys hearts as the car was swerving around the curves on the road, and just as Harvey went around a curve they hit that bus head on.  Harvey was frantic, trying to see how the children were, he was praying and crying, Please God, please protect the children, take me if anyone has to die but please take care of the children.  He hadn't even noticed that the car was rolling down over the mountain.  It was such a long way down.  One by one as the children that could walk got out of the overturned bus, they begin to wonder who had hit them.  Looking over the mountain where the car lay with smoke beginning to curl through the air, someone recognized the car as belonging to the boys that Doll was running around with.

Some of the older boys that were able to still move around, begin to climb down that mountain as fast as they could.  They never once thought that the car could blow up and they could be killed as well as the ones in the car, they just knew they had to get Doll out. Harvey and the other kids were praying and a passing car had seen the wreck and went for the police and ambulance.  There were several children with broken bones and lots of cuts and bruises but every one was alive and counted for.

As the boys got further down the mountain they could hear a voice crying and praying.  It was Doll, she was saying "Please God, forgive me for being so foolish.  Forgive my mom and dad for not allowing me to go to church in that old church bus and don't let those children on the bus be hurt because of me.  Her crying turned into a scream as she noticed that the boys in the car had already died.  She had no idea how badly she was hurt but she knew she'd never felt such pain in all her life and blood was everywhere.  She was afraid to move but she knew the car could burn and she had to get out somehow.  It was then that she heard the boys that were coming to help her and yelled at them.  "Billy and Johnny are dead and I don't know if I can move."  Please get me out of this car.  I'm so afraid the fire will set the gas tank off and I'm so sorry I caused all this mess for every one.  The tears were streaming down her face and the boys could see the pain was getting unbearable.  They knew she was about ready to pass out and they had to get her out quickly.  Actually, her passing out was the best thing right at that moment.  They pulled her out of that burning car just in the nick of time before the whole thing exploded.  They just made it to safety.

Title Page 

                 Next