Best Friends
Page 3

 

We spent hours with pen in hand, writing each other after I went home.  My mom had cancer and I took care of her, making sure she was at her treatments on time and loving the idea that I could do something to pay her back for all she'd done for me throughout my life.   Mom went into remission and I decided to stay on, by then jobs were getting scarce and Mom and I got along so well together, we loved spending time together.  We had a relationship like few mothers and daughters ever know.  Sometime you'd think our spirits were just a continuation of the other.

Sally and I stayed close though, through our letters and calls.  I missed her but having such a good relationship with my mom made it easier being away from Sally.  Our calls and letters begin to be fewer but never did stop.  She was still my best friend and I was hers.  She never would date, she had been hurt so badly by Herman that she swore no man would ever get close enough to her to hurt her that way again.

I was different.  A romantic from way back, always dreaming that the right man would come along and steal my heart.  A man that would treat me good and make me know that I was the most important person in the world.  It did finally happen, I met the man of my dreams and got married.  Sally couldn't come to the wedding.  It was too far to travel and she never did get a car and learn to drive.  It was just a small wedding anyway and we hadn't really invited guest.  I was so happy.  What more could a girl ask for.  I had the man of my dreams for a husband, the best friend anyone could have and the opportunity to help my mom.

After a few years things changed.  My mom's cancer came back, and then my husband was diagnosed with cancer too.  I took care of them both.  They were both in remission at this particular time and things looked pretty good again, when I got a call from Sally.  I could almost hear the tears in her eyes as she said, "My friend, I need you."  I asked her what was wrong and she said she had lung cancer and the doctor's said she didn't have much time.  She wanted to see me.  She said she couldn't die without seeing me again.

My husband drove me to PA and I visited with Sally in the hospital for several days, we talked and talked, we cried and cried.  I knew I was losing the best friend any one could ever have.  I knew she'd never be replaced in my life and she never has been.  She did tell me that she'd given her heart to the Lord and thanked me for not giving up on her.  She asked me to do the same for her daughter Shirley and I did try.   But by then Shirley was married and a little wild in her life style.  I can only pray that someday she will receive Christ as her Savior and meet her mom someday in Heaven.

I still think of Sally. Though it's been many years since I said my final good bye to her in her hospital room that day.  She's still in my heart, in a place that no one else will ever be able to fill.  Friends come and go, and they all serve a purpose in your life.  God places people in your life, sometime it's a temporary thing, to fulfill a need for each of you, then they, for some reason or another have a parting of the ways.  Sometimes it's painful and hard to understand but when that happens I can remember Sally and know that I had the best of friends in her.  If she was still alive she would still be my best friend.  She was one of a kind.  She endured hurt and loneliness and abuse, yet she still found it in her heart to love me and to be grateful for our friendship.  I know one day I'll see her again.  If there's a special reward for being a true best friend, I'm sure she has it.  And I'm sure she's patiently waiting for the time when we will meet again.  So am I.  

The End.

Home