Lady Preacher 
With  A Mean  Streak

Page 3
 

Grace had always given in to Marley and had been timid and afraid to speak up on her own behalf.  But now she had Donald with her and that gave her courage.  She told Marley that even though she would like to help with what ever she could, she was not willing to give up her own plans to move back home and work with her.  Marley was in shock.  Her little sister has never opposed her and she couldn't believe this was happening.  Back and forth they went, first Marley trying to make Grace feel like her 'little sis' and putting a guilt trip on her for not doing what she knew Mom and Dad would want, then Grace telling her that she was not a child any more and could not be manipulated the way she used to be.

Late that night it ended up with them parting in anger.  Neither of them could give in or come to any kind of compromise.  Grace cried and cried that night.  She prayed for guidance.   In the next room at the hotel, Donald was praying too.  He was praying for Grace to have peace and know what His will was for this situation.  He picked up the phone to tell her how much he loved her and to say good night.  When he heard her soft little voice he could tell she'd been crying her heart out and he asked, "Can I come into your room for a few minutes?"  She said, "Yes, I need you to hold me and help me to know everything will be okay."  They sat on the edge of her bed for a while and he held her so tightly and told her that God would lead them and they'd know what was the right thing to do."  Finally she was calm enough that she thought she could now sleep so he kissed her ever so gently and whispered, "I love you Gracie, sleep well and I'll see you early in the morning."  With that he went back to his own room, not at all sure that she was going to sleep at all.  But hoped that she would. 

Grace tossed and turned most of the night and was up very early, waiting for Donald to knock on her door or ring her phone.  It wasn't long until the phone rang and that sweet voice that she loved so much said, "Good Morning my love."  She just melted at the sound of his voice.  She was so in love with this man.  Nothing had ever made her even consider not being with him for the rest of her life, until Marley.  She was so torn.  She didn't want to just leave her sister to do all that work alone but she loved Donald, and they had such big plans for their future.  What should she do?  

Donald wanted to leave and find a good place where they could settle down and find work, a place where they would want to start their business and then get married.  He told Grace that she would never be able to break ties with Marley if she didn't do it now.  Donald sensed a bad spirit about Marley and he wanted nothing to do with her.  So they decided to tell Marley they were leaving and she'd just have to find someone else to help her.  Of course Marley used her sweet as honey voice and told them it was fine, she understood completely but asked if they would do her one favor before they left, would they please just go to church Sun. morning and then they could leave.  They thought that was a reasonable request so agreed to it.  Donald had never heard her preach and it had been a long time since Grace had heard her too so maybe she'd changed somehow in the last few years.  They'd go and then start out again on their quest to find a place they felt like they could find work and begin saving for their future.

They had been at church only a few minutes when they realized that it was all a scheme to get them to stay.  The first thing Sister Marley did was to welcome the congregation and then went right into a long introduction of her little sister who was kind enough to be there this morning, with her fiancé.

"Most of you remember our parents, and the awful accident that took their lives when Grace was just a little girl.  I promised to be a mother to her when my mother was on her death bed, and I've kept that promise.  I've been a sister, a mother and now a minister to her.  You all remember Grace...   stand up Grace, you too Donald, this is my little sister and my future brother-in-law, make them welcome!  The applause was deafening.  Grace and Donald stood but felt more like sinking down under the pew.  What was Sister Marley up to now?  Would she try to embarrass them into staying and helping her?  

Grace remembered that night long ago when she gave her heart to the Lord and how Marley made her feel, how she embarrassed her in front of the whole congregation and made her feel like she was the biggest sinner in the world and how she lorded it over her like it was she and not God who was forgiving her sins.  It all came back in a flash that made her feel sick to her stomach.  She just wanted to run and run and never stop running.  But they sat there and listened while Marley went on and on about how Grace and Donald had decided to get married there in her church and become a part of the church family.  And how Grace would head up the campaign for funds for the new church.  She asked the congregation to be praying about Donald finding a job right there in their little community.  They would be such an asset to the church and how wonderful to have her little sister home again.  "Just like having my daughter come home!" 

By then Grace really was about to lose her breakfast right there if she didn't get out of that place in a hurry.  She got up and left, looking for a bath room, with Donald right behind her.  He waited for her and when she came out she was white and trembling.  He could not believe how cruel a person claiming to be a minister of God could be.  There was no way he'd allow Grace to be put through this kind of treatment again.  He told her, "Let's go now."  They got into the car and started driving, they didn't care where, they just had to get away from that awful lady preacher with such a mean streak.  Even if it was her sister.  She wanted no part in her life any more.

Title Page

Next