And A Little Child Shall Lead Them
 


Page 1

Meet The Brown Family

 


Little Doll Brown

The Brown family were neighbors of ours when we kids were growing up in Southern WV. They had more than we did, daddy being a coal miner and the dad of the Brown family was a sickly sort of man and had some kind of disability check coming in every month so they were the first to have a TV in our community.  All the kids would gather at their house on Sat. night and watch the wrestling matches.  We loved going to the Brown's house.

Mr. Brown was a sweet man that loved kids but he always seemed to be preoccupied and sort of sad.  We never understood why at the time.  We seldom saw Mrs. Brown.  The kids always told us we could come and watch TV with them but we'd have to be quiet and not disturb their mom.  Seems she was always in the bed room with a bad headache.  I felt so sorry for her.  Maybe that's why Mr. Brown always had that sad look about him.

Like our family, they had a lot of kids.  There was the oldest, a daughter named Samantha, the age of my older sister. Then her brother David who was my age and in the same class with me, he was a little nerdy and had a crush on me but I didn't want much to do with him.  I knew he was a good kid but how would it look?  You just didn't pal around with a boy that wore his pants  4 inches above his waist line.

Then there was Gloria and Nellie,  Kenny and Tommy, all younger than the rest.  Sweet, pretty little kids but with not much teaching at home.  Their mom always in the bed room in the dark with a headache and Mr. Brown trying his best to keep them clean and fed and in school.  It was a hard for him, being sick himself but we all loved him.

The sweetest and cutest of all was little Darlene, we all called her Little Doll. And she was a doll.  She seemed to have a love in her heart like no other child I'd ever seen.  Those laughing blue eyes were a sight to behold.  She was only two years old and when I'd go in the house, she's start reaching for me and I'd hold her in my lap the whole time I was there.  She would laugh and pat my face.  She must of sensed the love I felt for her and maybe she didn't have that love from her mother like she needed at such a young age.  How could she with her mother always in that dark bed room with a bad headache.  Her older sisters just did as they pleased and baby sitting wasn't one of the things they pleased. So when I'd pay attention to her, she would cling to me.

Our family always went to the little white church by the side of the road.  It was just an unspoken rule at our house, on Sunday mornings we had to all get up and get cleaned up and dressed in our Sunday best, which wasn't really very nice, but all we had.  We'd wait for the old church bus to come rattling down the road to pick us up and take us to church. What a sight for that bus driver.  All the Cline kids in a line waiting to get on that old bus. He'd smile and say howdy to each of us.  Usually we got on the youngest first so the older ones could lift up the little ones.  First we'd hear,  "Well howdy little Annie" as my brother Tom lifted her up to the bus.  Then so on and on until each of us had heard a Howdy from our driver Harvey.  He was a deacon at the church and loved his bus ministry. He treated us all like we were his own kids.  Kept us safe and told us little bible stories on the way, or sometimes we'd just sing, anything to keep us all in line so he could safely drive us all to church then back home. By the time he had made his rounds, that old bus was bustin' at the seams with kids.

Often Harvey would ask us why the Brown kids didn't come with us.  We'd asked over and over again but they just wouldn't come and Mr. Brown was just so tired out all the time he probably didn't feel up to getting them all ready and of course Mrs. Brown was never feeling well.  I'd never seen anyone else that had a headache all the time.  But as the old church bus would  drive away, we could always see little Doll in the yard waving.  Sometime I could swear there was a tear in her little eyes.  I just knew she wanted to go.  I would tell her stories I'd learned in Sunday School about Jesus and her eyes would light up as she listened.  She came to love this man named Jesus but that name was never mentioned in her family, only when I'd be playing with Doll and her mother or dad wasn't listening and I would tell her how much Jesus loved her and would always protect her.  I taught her to sing, Oh How I Love Jesus,  and when she sang it, you could just tell she knew what she was singing about.  She called me Aunt Callie and loved me with all her little heart.  Oh how I loved being around that sweet little Doll.
 
Title Page

Next