And A Little Child Shall Lead Them
  


Page 2

Thanksgiving At Our 
Little White Church
By The Road

 


It was the Wed. before Thanksgiving Day, and we were all getting ready for a special service at our church.  We always had a special time of singing and praising and giving testimonies on that evening.  Every one would have a chance to stand up and tell what they were thankful for.  What Jesus meant in their personal lives.  I loved those services.  I'd come to know the Lord at a very early age and Jesus had done so much for me in my short life.

One of the things I was most thankful for was the Brown family.  And most especially  Little Doll.  Even as a pre-teen, I felt almost like a mother to her.  I was now 13 and she was 4 and growing prettier every year.  She seemed to grow so fast, I offered to take care of her every time I could and Mr. Brown would let me.  But he soon became a little angry with me for teaching her all those little songs and telling her about how Jesus loved her.  It wasn't because he didn't believe in God, but he was growing so bitter and sad and he just didn't want his little girl always begging him to let her get on that old church bus and go hear more about Jesus. He must of wondered where Jesus was when he was having such a hard life.

That day Little Doll cried a lot.  She wanted to go to church with me and Mr. Brown was having no part no that.  He told her if she didn't stop, he'd have to stop her from spending so much time with me.  But of course he needed me because his own older girls never took good care of her and he didn't seem to have enough heart to discipline them.  They pretty much did as they wanted and Little Doll was left to wonder around by herself.  I'd find her and take her home with me, and she'd stay until Mr. Brown came for her.

That Wed. evening as we got on the bus and watched that little sweet Doll standing there with tears streaming down her little cheeks, it was more than I could bear.  I started crying too and I asked Harvey if we could have prayer for her and for the whole Brown family.  Just like I knew he would do, he said, "Sure we can."  He pulled the bus off the road and right then and there we all prayed that Mr. Brown's heart would be softened and he'd allow Little Doll to go to church with us soon.  And I prayed especially that Jesus would comfort her little heart and give her peace.  When I stood up that night to give my personal testimony and tell what Jesus had done for me, I gave special thanks for the privilege of knowing and loving Little Doll and asked the whole church to pray that her parents would allow her to start coming to church.

We knew Christmas was right around the corner and the Brown family wouldn't even have a Christmas tree.  They wouldn't tell the kids the story of  how Jesus was born in a manger, or sing Silent Night.  If the kids got any presents it would be from neighbors that felt sorry for them.  Even though they had a good income.  Mrs. Brown was still such a sick woman that she was seldom seen and when she was, it was always in her night gown and an old robe she always wore.  And Mr. Brown, sweet as he used to be, was growing more angry, it seemed every day.  None of us knew why, we just thought he felt bad a lot and then had so much to do, trying to raise the kids and keep house and take care of his sick wife, no wonder he was not a happy man.  We stopped spending so much time at their house.  My mom said, "Poor Mrs. Brown doesn't need you kids at their house all the time keeping her awake and making her head hurt more than it already does."

I prayed so hard that I'd be able to take Little Doll with us to church for the Christmas services. I know she'd love hearing all the Christmas songs about how Jesus was born in a manger and see all the decorations and the happy smiling faces. After a play practice or choir practice I'd always tell her all about it and we'd pray that her daddy would let her go.  He still wouldn't give in and let her go. The disappointment was just too much for Little Doll.  She began to look so sad, and I missed those sweet little shiny eyes and that million dollar smile of hers.  My heart was broken for the Little Doll that I loved so much.

The older Brown girls began to leave home, one at a time, as did our family.  Some going on to school, some getting married and starting their own families, and some deciding they didn't need school and finding jobs.

I was now 16 and in High School and Little Doll was 7 and starting into the 2nd. grade.  She was picking up bad habits and the teachers were having a problem with her behavior.  I tried to be there for her but I was growing up now and had lots of studying to do and was interested in boys too, but I never forgot to pray for her and for the Brown family.  I never stopped loving her and always said when I got married I wanted a Little Doll of my own.  I would name her Darlene too and call her Little Doll.  I still spent as much time with her as I could but of course things were different now.  She loved me and I was still, and would always be her "Aunt Callie".  But her behavior was hard for me to cope with.  She'd say bad words and talk back when I'd try to teach her something that I thought she needed to know.  We grew apart a little bit, but never in our hearts.  There was that special bond that would always be there for us both.
 
Title Page

Next