And A Little Child Shall Lead Them
 
 


Page 3

Home For The 
Holidays


 
A few years passed and most of the kids were grown now.   My older brother, Tom came home on furlough,  We were all sitting around the old fireplace just enjoying the season, it was almost Christmas and we felt blessed that we could all be together for the holidays.

Tonight we were all reminiscing, I was remarking how poor Mrs. Brown had been sick for all these years with those bad headaches and wondered if she was still sick with Mr. Brown taking care of her.  Suddenly Tom started laughing,  "Are you still so naive as to think she was sick every day of her life?"  I said, "What do you mean, you know how sick she's always been, she never came out of the bed room anytime we were there, and we always had to be quiet so as not to make her headache worse."   Tom just smiled and said, "You really don't know that she was always laid up in bed with a bottle or a hangover?"  It was the first time I ever knew the truth about Mrs. Brown, and Mr. Brown was willing to lie for her and do all the work to keep her from being found out.  He must of loved her a lot.

The conversations around the fireplace continued as the smell of pumpkin pies and turkey baking was making us all hungry.  How we loved getting together over the holidays.  Mom was about the best cook anywhere.  Or at least we thought so.  And when we all got together that big ole kitchen table was filled to overflow and extra chairs  brought in so we could all eat together.

We started remembering times in the past, when we were all kids and especially the times we spent watching TV at the Brown's house.  It was so funny, we had to take turns standing on a chair holding the old wire clothes hanger with the tin foil wrapped around it connected to the old ribbon wire that was used back then.  To this day I don't understand how that all worked.  I just know the picture would be all wavy and pulled in on the sides and top and when one of us would hold up that clothes hanger, it would straighten up just enough for us to enjoy the show that was playing. When our arms would get so tired we couldn't hold it any more, someone would trade places with us.  So that old clothes hanger was always up high enough to bring in a picture plain enough for us to watch.

Later A big antenna was placed on top of the mountain and every one had those ribbon wires connected to an antenna on top of their house and the wires from that were strung up the mountain.  By then almost every one in our community had a TV set, even us!

Annie was the only one of us left at home now so she was catching us all up on every one.

David had gone to seminary and became a preacher.  Strange, I always thought God wanted me to be a preacher's wife, but when we were in school and he had such a crush on me, I refused to be seen with him.  But that was okay because I'd married a wonderful man and was very happy.

Samantha had married a school teacher, they had several children and seemed to be doing well.

Gloria and Nellie were in home health care and had such a heart for older sick people, they put their whole hearts into their work.  I had an opportunity to see them while I was home and told them how proud I was of them.

Then there was Tommy, who joined the army as soon as he was old enough, he met and married a lovely woman in Germany and decided to make his home there so he was seldom home.

I couldn't help but think how well they all turned out, considering their up-bringing.  But I guess a lot of people were praying for them and  they were all determined to get away and do well.  They wanted to get away from our small community where no one knew about their mom's alcoholism and make something of themselves.

Annie started to cry, she was the youngest and closest to Little Doll's age so when the rest of us left home, she and Little Doll became really good friends.  We all knew pretty much what had happened, but as she began to tell the story, the whole house was silent except for the sound of Annie's voice.  Through her tears she told us this story.

You know Harvey still drives an old church bus and Little Doll gave up on ever being able to go so she got angry and bitter and was getting a little bit on the wild side.  I tried talking to her because she was my best friend, but she wouldn't listen.  She'd just say, "they don't care what happens to me so why should you?"

"She began running around with older boys and they drank and raced their cars and Doll would go with them and even ride in the cars with them as they drag raced down the road, taking a chance every time, of a car coming in the other direction.  I tried to tell her if she didn't stop, she'd end up being killed or crippled for life but she just wouldn't listen to me.

Doll was way too young to be doing the things she was with boys and she just didn't seem to care what people thought of her. She missed you Callie, when you left home.  You were the only one that could do anything with her and when she didn't have you any more and when her mom kept ignoring her, she just went a little wild. 
 
Title Page       

              Next