Chapter 3

Visit To WV

 

The drive to WV was long and tiring, but they took turns driving, sang the old hymns and talked until finally they arrived in Princeton.  They had driven all night, it was early morning but they decided to go to the hospital first.   Margie Jamison was sitting by her husband's bed side, dozing in a chair as she waited for her son to arrive.  As soon as she had hugged her son, she held Mary Ann at arm's length and looked at her for a moment, then said, "So, you're the young lady that has stolen my boy's heart."  Jason answered for her, "Mom, meet Mary Ann, yes, she has stolen my heart.  As a matter of fact, just before we left Norfolk, I asked her to be my wife and Mom, she said yes!"  Then Mary Ann spoke to her future mother-in-law.  "Mom, I promise you that I'll do every thing I can to make JJ happy.  We've worked together for several years now and we're ready to take our relationship to a deeper level."  Margie replied to her future daughter-in-law, "I knew Jason would find the perfect life's mate, I've prayed almost since the day he was born that God would bring the right girl into his life, at the right time and I believe He's done that so, welcome Mary Ann, welcome to the family.

Mr. Jamison was trying to move his right hand, his left side was paralyzed and with the IV in his right hand, it was difficult, but he managed to make them aware that he was awake and happy to see his son.  Of course Jason had to do the talking, since Paul couldn't speak.  He held back the tears as he watched his dad lying there trying to smile at his son, but his facial muscles just wouldn't cooperate.  After he'd introduced Mary Ann to his dad and told him about their engagement, and their trip from Norfolk, he began talking about what God could do when a person had faith to believe, he read a few verses from the bible and then looked into his dad's eyes and said, "Dad, I know you've never understood why I chose to become a minister, but what you need to understand is that He chose me to do His work, I'm only a willing vessel.  I've seen time and time again what God can do when a person will humble themselves before Him and just believe.  Dad, don't you think it's about time you gave your heart to Jesus?  He loves you so much, you know the story, you know how he loved us so much He gave his life to provide salvation for a lost and dying world and Dad, He is just waiting now for you to accept Him into your heart, I know you can't talk right now but Mary Ann, Mom and I are going to pray for you."

Jason put his hand on his dad's arm, just above the needle that was in the back of his hand, Mom was at the foot of the bed and reached over and touched him on his foot, Mary Ann held his other hand, of course he couldn't feel her hand on his but as they began to pray, Paul's eyes filled with tears, he was so aware of all the years he had wasted.  Margie had taken Jason to church and he stubbornly stayed at home.  He hadn't been a bad person, in fact he was a good moral man, a hard working man that loved his family and provided every thing for them, yes every thing except what they needed and longed for the most, a Christian home.  Thank God for a wife that never gave up, a wife that gave their son a deep faith in God and encouraged him when he said God had called him to preach.  A wife that prayed every day for God to save her husband.  Suddenly he felt like a broken man.  As he tried to call out to God, frustration overtook him, the words wouldn't come.  Sensing his dad's frustration, Jason said, "Dad, just speak from your heart and God will hear you.  He knows our thoughts as well as our spoken words, just rest in Him, ask Him to forgive your sins, tell Him you believe He died for you and that you are sorry for your sins."  They all stood looking at this wonderful dad and husband as his countenance changed, such peace on his face, they knew God had touched him.  His sleep was more peaceful than it had ever been.  Jason and Mary Ann took Margie home to shower and change and get ready to go back to be by her husband's side.  She didn't want to leave him for a minute longer than she had to.  

While Paul was sleeping, God was doing a work in his body.  He dreamed that a man was sitting next to his bed, a man that loved him so much he could feel the love radiating like a warmth that saturated his whole body, and he thought, 'Is this what the love of Jesus feels like?'  The smile on the man's face spoke volumes without ever speaking one audible word.  Paul said, "Jesus, please forgive me, I've been a foolish man, I've wasted so many years, but now I want to serve you, I want to be the husband my wife deserves and the dad my son needs, I want to be able to play with the grandchildren that pretty little Mary Ann will surely give us one day.  Oh, Jesus how could I have been so foolish for so long,  Will you forgive me and give me a chance to live for you?"

Tears were streaming down all their faces.  The family had been back in the room an hour or so, waiting for him to wake up and a nurse was there, checking the IV, when they heard his voice, praying for God to save him.  They couldn't refrain from praising the Lord.   Paul heard them and opened his eyes, he could feel Margie's hand on his foot and Mary Ann's on his hand, he could talk!  It was as if he had never had a stroke.  God had not only gloriously saved him, but had healed him and completely restored his health.
 
Title Page

Next