Chapter 7

Mary Ann's Failing Health

 
The following months were hard, the girls were at an age where they needed their mom so much, but she got weaker as time went on.  Finally they decided to go to a doctor.  They prayed together about which one to see and decided on Dr. Baker.   Some tests were done and they waited for the results.

The phone rang, Jason and Mary Ann stood there looking at it like maybe if they didn't answer, the problem would just go away.  After a few seconds Jason picked it up.  God must of given him extra strength for the moment because when he hung up, he looked at Mary Ann and said,  "Honey, Dr. Baker wants to talk to us about the results of your tests.  He said if we could come now, he has some free time."  They made a quick call to have a neighbor stay with the girls and were off to the doctor's office.  In the car Mary Ann asked if he'd said anything about her condition, of course he couldn't lie to her, he never had and wouldn't start now.  He pulled the car over in a wide place beside the road and took her in his arms.  "Honey, we don't know why bad things happen to good people, but this I know, I have placed you in God's  hands.  He is the great physician.  He is our Heavenly Father.  He will take care of us, no matter what Satan would bring into our lives.  Please always remember that Greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world."  Mary Ann wasn't satisfied with that answer,  "Jason, what did he say?  What ever it is, there is nothing that you and I together with God can't handle.  You've already said I'm in his hands, so how bad can it be?"

"Mary Ann, darling, Dr. Baker said that you have cancer, but it's a treatable kind, he said if he ever had to have cancer, this would be the kind he'd choose to have.  He assured me that with your general good health and our faith in God, that things should go well.  But honey, we need to go to see him now so he can explain every thing to us and get your treatments started.  You're going to be alright, I promise you and I'll be here for you every step of the way.  We'll go through this together.  Please honey, let me be your strength when you are weak, let me take care of you.  With God on our side, we will make it through this, do you believe me, honey?"

For awhile she didn't speak.  She was so choked up, thinking that maybe the girls would start dating and she wouldn't be there to guide them and give them advice.  She thought about them graduating from high school and then college, she may not be there for them.  Then she thought, maybe I'll never see them married, maybe they will need me the way I needed my mom when I was pregnant, both their grandmothers are too old now to try to be mom to my girls.  When they are older who will tell them to never let the romance die in their marriages when they've found their life's mate.  My grandchildren may never know the joy of visits to grandma's house the way they do now.....   I just have to calm down so I can talk to Doctor Baker.  "Yes, JJ I believe you, I know God will see us through this."

Mary Ann remembered very little of what the doctor said, but Jason knew every word.  He was determined to soak up every bit of information he could on her cancer.  He sat at his computer for hours doing research.  He was ready to fight this thing with her the whole distance.  The first thing he did was to take her into his prayer closet and give the whole situation to God.   Together they prayed for strength and guidance, they prayed for their children and for their parents, that they would be strong.  By the time they got up from their knee's they both felt the peace of God  in their hearts.  

Nancy and Margie came through once again.  They alternated weeks, staying with them so Jason could concentrate on taking care of Mary Ann.  Month after month they went through Chemotherapy treatments.   Each time they would pray.  They'd ask God to use those chemicals to kill the cancer cells and not destroy the good ones.

Once when Jason was doing the TV program, he pleaded with the people to pray for his wife.  There was such an awesome out-pouring of love from people every where.  People that had faithfully watched the Jamison Family Ministry, the prayers went up by the tens of thousands.  They got cards and e-mails by the thousands.  So many good Christian people wanting to send a word of encouragement, but that's the family of God, always there for each other in times of need.

It was almost a year of treatments before Dr. Baker told them the good news.  Mary Ann was finally cancer free!  She had lost her hair, and so much weight that it took some months of exercise and eating lots of good healthy food to get her back in good physical condition, but she made it by the grace of God and the help of a wonderful family support system.

Back

Next