Lady Preacher 
With  A Mean  Streak

Page 1 
 

Sister Marley was a lady preacher who had a mean streak about her.  She appeared to be sweet and kind and always wanting to be helpful, but when Grace got to know her as a preacher and not just a family member, She could tell that she wasn't always the saint of a woman that everyone believed her to be.

She was pastor of a small church in a little town near the VA. -  NC. border.  It was a town where every one knew everyone and nothing could get past Sister Marley.  She used the information she came across to her own advantage.  Not everyone knew the true Sister Marley the way Grace did.  You see, Grace was her little sister.  She'd  always looked up to her until she began to get a little older and started taking her own salvation more seriously.  

Grace was in church one night, (It was her 16th. birthday)  when Marley was preaching and as the altar call was given, in her sweet as honey voice she said, "It's time you give your heart to the Lord, it's time you make right the wrongs in your life.  Come on to this altar and let me pray you through."  Grace was crying silently as she prayed that God would forgive her of her sins and help her to start really living the life she knew to be the Christian life.  She sat there and made a commitment to God and to herself that she would be a witness for Him and would fulfill whatever ministry He would choose for her.

Sister Marley must of seen those tears and in her years of experience of reading people, she knew what was happening.  She told Grace to come forward and she would "pray her through."  Grace  wasn't exactly sure what that meant, she felt that she had already touched the throne of Mercy.  She could feel the presence of God and the peace and warmth of His love as she had prayed.  But Marley was her big sis and she thought she must know what's best so she rose from her seat and went forward.  Marley put her hands on Grace's head and began to pray in her soft voice, then louder and louder she went on and on as if Grace was the biggest sinner in the world.  Grace became self conscience and embarrassed.  What was she doing, there in front of the whole congregation?  It was almost as if she thought she was the one forgiving her sins and saving her soul from hell.  She was very uncomfortable but every one there thought it was wonderful.  This loving and kind lady preacher taking time to pray her little sister through.  Grace waited until she was through 'praying her through' then went back to her seat with a feeling of aloneness that she shouldn't of felt after making a commitment to the Lord to do His bidding.

After that night Grace watched Marley closely and knew that somewhere in her there was a mean streak.  But somehow the people in her church thought she was just right up there next to God Himself.  It was as if her "sweet as honey" voice could put them in a trance and they would believe every thing she said and do what ever she asked of them.

Grace began to make excuses to go to other churches.  She just didn't feel good in her sister's church.  She couldn't judge her and she still did love her, she was her big sister, but something just didn't feel quite right when Grace tried to worship in her church.  It wasn't long until she was a senior in high school and preparing to go to college so it wasn't evident to Marley that Grace didn't really have the faith in her as a preacher that she thought she did.  Being a quiet and shy person, she didn't want her to know, she'd just live her life for Christ and mind her own business.

In her first year of college she met and fell in love with a wonderful young man.  He was studying to become a businessman and she was taking some business courses as well as learning about fashion.  She wanted to own and operate her own little boutique one day.  She loved beautiful clothes and  thought, how good to be in a position to work around people and maybe come out of her shell a bit and learn to talk to people.

After they'd been dating for a couple years and had shared their hopes and dreams, they decided that they'd love to go into business together.  But first they had to graduate and work a while to save up enough money to buy the store and together would operate the boutique and share their lives.  She'd do the buying and selling and he would do all the 'behind the scenes' business.

They were attending the chapel on campus and their love was so much sweeter because they both loved the Lord.  They promised each other that they would stay pure until their marriage vows had been taken.  They held true to that promise, there was no one else in the whole world for either of them and they wanted their wedding night to be so perfect.

On graduation day, both families were there to see them get their diplomas and celebrate with them.  When Grace introduced Sister Marley to Donald, her voice was sweet and soft as she took his hand and said, "are you aware that Grace is going to need to wait a very long time before she can get married?  I expect her to come and help me with my ministry.  With her education in business I think she'll be a wonderful asset to the ministry,  helping me raise money for my new church that God has instructed me to build."  They just put her off and started talking to all the other family members, hoping she wouldn't bring it up again.  They already knew exactly what their plans were.

The night before graduation, Donald and Grace had gone out to eat and while they were there he had slipped a ring on her finger and asked her to be his wife.  Of course she said yes but they would set a date later, when they were both working and had some idea of when they could get their business going.  One thing she knew for sure, it would be in their time and Sister Marley would not dictate to them when or where they would be married.  Their love was strong enough to stand up to her.  Not like when she was younger and afraid of her.  Now she had Donald who would stand with her, together they could face anything or anyone.
 
Title Page

Next