Lady Preacher 
With  A Mean  Streak

Page 2 
 
Page 2

The day started out so beautifully.  Donald and Grace had invited some friends to lunch so they could start talking about their plans.  Hope and Ben were their best friends all through college.  They had studied together, shared their most private thoughts and when there was time, they double dated.  Usually just a movie or a picnic.  They were the very  best of friends and somehow knew they'd always be close.  No matter how life's road led them.  If in different paths, they'd still keep in touch, always and forever.

During a nice lunch they talked about plans to work for a while then go into business together.  Grace said to Hope, "I really hate that we may have to wait for so long, but we've made up our minds that it will be best that way.  We want to start out right.  Most of all, we want to make sure that we are in God's will." 

Ben begin to talk and he was making a lot of sense.  Both Donald and Grace were listening intently.  "Hope and I are thinking along the same lines.  Maybe we could work something out here."  Hope chimed in, "You know that I've been studying modeling and am very good with people, and Ben is a great business man."  Ben continued, "If we all four work for a year I bet we could pool our resources and if you two are interested in having partners...  well, it's something to think about."

About that time Grace's phone rang, it was Sister Marley.  Just what she needed to put a damper on an otherwise beautiful day.  Marley went on and on about how she needed Grace to come home and get started on the work they had to do together.  She wanted Grace to head up a campaign to raise money for the new church.  Grace tried to tell her that she was busy now with her own life and trying to save money to start a business with Donald.  Of course Marley brought up Mom and Dad and how she had promised them before they died that she would always take care of her little sister and they would always stay close as a family.  Marley had a way of using that every time she wanted Grace to do things her way.   Grace had been so close to her parents and after the accident that took their lives, she was just a lost little girl.  She missed her Mom and Dad so much and Marley always acted like she was the Mom, but Grace never felt that way about her.  She loved her as a sister but she didn't want anyone taking her mother's place in her life. At the same time she knew her Mom would want her to stay close to Marley.  She was torn, what should she do?  She wanted to do the Christian thing and be nice to her sister and help if she could but how she longed to get her own life started with Donald.

She told Hope and Ben that she needed to leave early because of some things back home.  She and Donald had to have a serious talk and decide what to do.  After explaining that she would call as soon as she knew what she would be doing about Marley, they left.

Grace and Donald sat talking long into the night.  They prayed, they cried and asked God what His will was in the matter.  Family meant a lot to Donald and he didn't want to be the cause of a rift between Grace and her sister.  But privately, he was hoping that Marley could work out her own problems and just leave them alone.

Finally they came to a decision.  They would go to visit Marley and try to explain to her how they felt and ask her to get someone else to work with her on the new church.  They would just tell her how much in love they were and how they needed to get their own business started and get married and have their own family.  Oh, Grace thought, Donald doesn't know Marley.  She's not going to buy this at all.  But she was willing to try.

Grace called Marley and told her that they would be coming for a visit soon and they would talk about the new church.  Marley thought she'd won this one, hands down.  She'd always been able to manipulate her little sister.  This would be no different.

They thought it would be best to get this over with.  The next week end they started out on their trip.  It was a beautiful day and they took their time and had an enjoyable trip, stopping at quaint little shops, looking at the way others worked their shops.  Getting ideas for their own when the time came.  But Grace already had so many ideas about how to decorate her own little shop and the kinds of things she wanted to sell, but still it was fun seeing how others were operating their stores.

She picked up a little gift for her sister and Donald decided to take her some flowers.  He wanted to get off on the right foot with his future sister-in-law.  They arrived late in the afternoon and asked Marley if they could take her out to eat.  She was not very receptive to that idea, she said, "No, I'd rather stay here and fix something so we can talk about how Grace will run the campaign for me."  Right away it started,  "Mom would be so proud of us for working for the Lord together.  Now this is what we will do."

Grace quickly interrupted her,  "Sis, I've told you that Donald and I have our own plans and we've just come to talk face to face with you so you'll understand that we are not just being selfish, but that we really love each other so very much and we want to get started on our future together.  There's so much to do, we need to work for a least a year in order to save enough money to start our own business."

"And just what kind of business do you think you could succeed at?"  I mean, after all, you've wasted all this time studying about clothes!  No, Grace, you'll be better off here with me, and Donald will just have to understand, that's how Mom And Dad would want it."

Donald couldn't believe his ears.  How could a woman of God talk this way and be so cruel to her own sister.  Surely she was not in God's will, acting like this.  He sensed a mean streak in her.

Title Page

Next